: Live COVID-19 updates. Find out more


Have you decided that your current home just doesn’t suit your needs anymore and that the time has come for you to have the home you’ve always dreamed of? Read our handy checklist to get started!

  • 1

    Planning Regulations

    The very first thing you should do is contact your local council to establish if there are any overlays (heritage or vegetation) affecting your land or alternatively you can access this information here (simply type in your address and click search). The next screen will bring up your address, tick the box and click search again. On this screen, you will see a number of reports you can choose but we recommend you tick the box which is your basic property report and then click next. This is a summary page of your parcel of land which includes your Planning Zone and Planning Overlays affecting your land. Take the time to click on these reports to review, or contact your local council for further details regarding clarification.

  • 2

    Street frontage and depth of block

    You need to consider the size of your block when choosing a new home plan. Generally in established areas, Council requires the setback of the principal frontage of your home to be the average of both of your neighbours. Should you wish to be further forward than this, a Report and Consent approval would be required to be obtained through Council. This process can commence post the completion of your tender appointment and the expected time frame of assessment is approximately six weeks.

  • 3

    Setbacks and Easements

    Setbacks – All new dwellings must comply with building regulations where minimum front, side and rear setbacks need to be met. Discuss these requirements with your Sales Consultant when considering your new home. Also ensure you take your existing driveway position into account when you are choosing a house plan. Should you wish to change the existing location of your crossover (driveway) you will then need to obtain approval directly from your Council.

    Easements – Does your block of land have any easements? Easements can impact which designs will work on your block. This information can be obtained by contacting the owners of the easement (ie: council, water authorities) or from your Plan of Subdivision.

  • 4


    All sites require a legal point of discharge (LPOD) and a sewer tie within the property boundary for drainage prior to site start. In some cases in established areas, your existing LPOD may be unsatisfactory for a new dwelling. If LPOD is not within the boundary it is the clients’ responsibility to ensure it is brought into the boundary. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the owner. Council will determine the satisfactory LPOD and Porter Davis will order this information prior to your tender appointment to present to you. Any additional construction required will be determined at this point.

  • 5

    Street Access

    You will need to take into account how accessible your block is for both demolition and construction. Size of roads, schools in the area, overhead power lines and the requirement for traffic management (if you are on a busy road or in a difficult to access area) will need to be factored in. Please be aware that restricted access blocks may incur additional charges due to management of traffic and manual unloading of materials.

  • 6

    Power Supply

    Porter Davis constructs all new dwellings with underground power. As your existing dwelling will have overhead power which will be abolished prior to your demolition, you will need to arrange the installation of an underground electricity pit through your provider. This process can be commenced prior to the demolition of your home and can be lengthy. Contact your provider for an application form (Porter Davis can assist in filling out your application if needed). Once returned, you will receive a quote which is valid for 30 days. When this has been paid (within the 30 day period) your electricity pit will be installed in approximately another 28 days. From there, your electricity pit can take up to 21 days to be energised (made live). Porter Davis requires a live electricity power pit prior to construction commencing.

  • 7


    Neighbours can play a part in assisting with the approval of your design. Should your proposed build fall outside of the standard building regulations, you should gain consent from your neighbours upfront as any objections they may have can affect the design of your home (ceiling heights and windows etc), and this can delay your build time. Neighbours also need to be engaged regarding shared fencing as depending on your build, fencing may need to be removed prior to site start.



  • Do you intend to put in a new pool or keep an old one? Please ensure you discuss this with Porter Davis upfront as this can have a bearing on which house plan you proceed with, and may impact on the cost of your slab design (foundations of your new home) and construction.

  • To maintain a safe workplace, Porter Davis requires a minimum distance of 1800mm between your home and pool and you will be required to install a hard pool cover to Australian Standards prior to construction commencing.

    Read our handy guide and tips on pool installation here


  • Top Tip
    Keeping your old pool? We'll require a minimum distance of 1800mm between your home and pool!

Ready to Start
Your Knock Down Rebuild

Fill in the form and we'll be in touch!

1800 767 837